Keep the the Destination in Mind


I don’t know about you, but impatience remains an opportunity area in my life. It’s quite possible that God will still be developing this particular fruit of the Spirit in me up until my final moment on earth. With His help, I’ve gained ground. Friends have commented on my patience in trying times, but I think that is more a reflection of my stress management skills than my level of patience. I still have so far to go, but I can laugh at the comical ways impatience arises in me. It’s so often over the little things in life.
One way is when I’m driving and find myself behind a truck or van - any vehicle that I can’t see around. I feel myself growing impatient. I have the urge to change lanes, to get around them. The feeling isn’t connected to their speed; that’s what makes it funny. Even if the pace is perfect, I’m impatience nevertheless. I feel trapped. I just want...no need...to be able to see. I want to know what’s coming.
We can react the same way as we travel the winding roads of life. I know I often do. I want to know what the plan details are. Will this happen or will that happen? Will God open this door or shut that window? How long will this situation last? Just what exactly is coming around the next turn and when?
The interest to know isn't the culprit. The problem begins once the interest becomes a desire and then a need. When negative feelings arise-frustration, confusion, doubt, anger, fear- they reveal what is at the heart of the matter.
We desire control because we don't trust God fully. We lean on ourselves as a back up plan. While our thoughts and words may indicate otherwise, our lack of peace exposes the truth. We aren't fully surrendered to Him.
How could we, even for a moment, believe that our way would ever be better than God’s? Do we really think our plan would be more perfect than that of the Creator of the universe? He is omnipotent, omnipresent and omniscient with our best interest at heart. We are flawed and so very limited.
Our way might seem easier in the moment for ourselves, but easy is not the destination. God is more concerned with our character than our momentary comfort. He knows the ultimate destination is to become like Christ. 
We can try to influence travel on the freeway, but we can’t control it any more than we can control life’s outcomes. We may influence them, by our actions and choices, but only God is fully in control. And that is wonderful news. He is sovereign, in control of everything. And He loves us unconditionally. He doesn’t need us to navigate for Him or to edit His plan. What He desires of us is simple- trust and dependence. 
Message for the Journey:
When we keep the intended destination of becoming Christ-like in mind, we can sit back, relax and follow Him on the roads of life. We don't need to see what's ahead. God knows exactly where He is taking us. Whether it is uphill or downhill, moving fast or moving slow, He is in complete control and He is good. God’s character never changes. 
                                                              ©AnnWilds2011
 If you enjoyed this article, why not share it with a friend, tweet it and "like" it on Facebook. If you aren't a subscriber, I'd love to welcome you to the Lessons for the Journey community. Receive a free copy of The Uncut Diamond e-book when you subscribe.

2 comments:

  1. Ann, I happened upon your blog a few months ago and wanted to let you know I find it insightful. Thank you for your posts(:.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gertha,
    Thank you and welcome to the journey! I'm so very glad you dropped by.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete