A Hand to Hold

For I am the LORD, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you.”



When we're little our mothers hold our hand. They hold our hands when we cross the street to protect us from danger. They hold our hands when we're in crowds so we don’t get lost. And they hold our hands to show we belong with them. It’s a reassuring feeling to have someone hold our hand. We feel loved and secure.

Did you know that our heavenly Father also holds our hand? Isaiah 41:13 says “For I am the LORD, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you.” He holds our hand to protect us from danger. He holds our hand so we don’t get lost. And He holds our hand because we belong to Him.

When I was very little, I was in the store with my mother. We were stopped in front of some shelves; she was holding my hand. A pretty thing on the shelf attracted my attention, and I let go of her hand to take a closer look. Once my interest waned, I stepped back beside her and reached my hand up to take hers.

But after a moment, something didn’t feel right. I looked up and knew why. The lady smiling down at me holding my hand wasn’t my mother. I felt surprised- followed closely by shock and fear. I ran down the aisle calling “Momma! Momma!” I turned the corner and there she was. Relief washed over me. I ran to her and hugged her tightly.

When we are enticed by the pretty things of this world and let go of our Father’s hand, we can be certain that He never leaves us. Deuteronomy 31:8 says “The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged." We may leave God’s side, but He never leaves us. To find Him all we need do is reach out.




Message for the Journey:

As a child of God's, the Creator of the universe holds your hand. You are not alone. If, as children do, you've wandered away or have been distracted by the things of this world, rest assured your Father has never left your side. Just reach out- once again take His hand.



"Put your hand in the hand of the man who stills the water. Put your hand in the hand of the man who calms the sea."

1 comment:

  1. I love that verse! Somehow, I often find myself in Isaiah during my quiet time. There are so many nuggets in that book.

    Great lesson, Ann, and great visual.

    ReplyDelete