How to Adjust an Attitude

Do you ever have one of those days where you just seem to get up on the wrong side of the bed? You’re easily irritated and short-tempered for no real reason. That was definitely me this morning. My husband didn’t have to say much and I felt my ire rising. 

Being human, we’re all capable of being grumps. But that doesn’t mean it’s ok to remain that way. So, I took a deep breath, gave myself a stern talking to, and proceeded with a full on attitude adjustment. 

Chapter 4 in the book of Ephesians is a great resource for showing us exactly how to cleanse unhealthy thoughts and negative mental states. It begins with recognizing (v.22) that our thinking has tainted, and making the choice to fully put it away. That’s followed by earnest prayer, asking (v.23) the Holy Spirit to renew our mind and give us an attitude (v.24) that aligns with Christ. 

When we follow the Word, fully yielding to the Spirit, an inner shift occurs. But when we fail to do so, we give place to the devil (v.27) in our life and fall easily into sin. 

While I hope I don’t need another one soon, it would be wishful thinking to expect to never need one. But the next time my attitude is in need of an adjustment, I know just exactly where to turn. 

-Ann Wilds 



“Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes.”

 (Ephesians 4:23)

No comments:

Post a Comment