The Essentials of a Prayer Closet

There has been renewed interest lately in prayer closets, thanks in part to the movie War Room. It's basis is found in Jesus's instructions in Matthew 6:6. But what exactly is it?

A prayer closet is anywhere you reqularly go to spend time alone with God. For some it's an actual closet.  For others it's a simple place at the kitchen table, a chair in the corner of a room, or even the driver's seat of their car. 

Most often for me it's a prayer path in our woods where the unhurried rhythmns of creation help me center my heart and mind on the Creator. I do have places inside my house where I study my Bible, journal, and pray. But the woods give me space to sing praises, to cry, to do battle in the spirit, without concern of disturbing anyone except the wildlife. 

It's not important where your prayer closet is or even what it looks like. What is essential though is that you take intentional, unhurried time to pray. 
                                                                                                                                      - Ann Wilds


But when you pray, go away by yourself, shut the door behind you, and pray to your Father in private. Then your Father, who sees everything, will reward you. 
Matthew 6:6

No comments:

Post a Comment