How to Live a Successful Life
For one who follows Christ, the pathway to success is clearly defined in God's word. It includes:
• Priority But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you (Matthew 6:33) The first step of the path is priority. When we place God first in our lives, everything else falls into place because we have the proper balance.
• Trust Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight. (Proverbs 3:5-6) Where we place our trust is critical to our overall success. Do we place it in ourselves and others or do we place it in God. If it is in God then we can be certain that our path will always be true.
• Obedience Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. (Joshua 1:8) Next on the path is walking in obedience. God promises that we will have success when we are true to His word- even when it’s not easy.
• Generosity Honor the Lord with thy substance, and with the firstfruits of all thine increase: So shall thy barns be filled with plenty, and thy presses shall burst out with new wine. (Proverbs 3: 9-10) The tighter we hold on to possessions the tighter their hold on us. When we are generous with what God has blessed us with, both towards the church and to others, God is generous with us.
• Action All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty. (Proverbs 14:2) Success will only come through our taking action. God will provide the wind but we have to set the sails to move our ship out of the harbor and across the sea.