Radio Interference

Have you ever been in a drive-thru when you just couldn’t understand what the voice on the other end was saying? When it happens to me, I feel as if I’ve stumbled into a Charlie Brown television special where the only sound from the teacher is “wah, wah, wah”. Reception problems aren’t limited to fast-food restaurants, the other morning my favorite radio show was plagued with one.

Once in the car, I turned on the radio ready for my commute to the office. I expected to hear the usual program but the speaker’s voice kept breaking up; at times crystal clear then unexpectedly garbled. The reception normally was strong but today it was anything but. Being a problem-solver, I began to consider what the trouble could be.

I checked to see that the tuner was on the right number, it was; no one had accidentally changed the setting. I switched to another station and found them coming in perfectly; nothing was wrong with the car’s antenna. Maybe there was something breaking up the signal, but there weren’t any new transmitters in the area. The weather was clear and the quality didn’t change no matter where I traveled. So that left equipment problems at the radio station. I couldn’t do anything to help that, so I gave up and plugged in my iPod.

I reflected on that experience and realized how much it had in common with my communication with God. Are there times in my life where I’m not hearing from Him, not because He isn’t talking to me, but because of frequency interference? The answer came back a resounding yes.


Tuner off station

There have been times when I allowed my tuner to get off station. I tuned in to my career, a relationship, or worldly success instead of tuning my life to God. When He is not first in my life it is very easy to simply not hear Him.

     You shall have no other gods before me. Exodus 20:3


Antenna weakness

At other times, I’ve had spiritual ADD. I allow myself to be distracted by the busyness of life, by entertainment or just by myself, and don’t fully listen. I read the Bible without thinking about what I am reading. My prayers become text messages instead of real communications. There is little quality in my time with the Lord. To have a rich relationship with Him I must be fully present.

     Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength. Mark 12:30


Interference in the airwaves

Sin, when not confessed, blocks my relationship with the Father. It causes interference in the ability to be close with Him. When I stumble and sin, I place static in the airwaves. When I confess it fully and repent, the airwaves are cleaned permitting crystal clear communion with Him once again.

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness 1 John 1:9


Equipment failure

It is impossible for God to fail. If we are missing out on Him it is because we have moved. He never leaves us. There may be times when God appears to be silent, but nevertheless, He is always in communication with us.

• He communicates to us through all of creation. Psalms 19: 1-3 says “The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. Day after day they pour forth speech; night after night they display knowledge. There is no speech or language where their voice is not heard.”

• He communicates to us through His Word. Psalm 119:105 tells us that “Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path.”

• He communicates to us through the Holy Spirit. Jesus tells us in John 14:26 “But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.”

     Love never fails 1 Corinthians 13:8


How’s your reception today? If you are experiencing difficulty hearing from God, become a problem-solver. Identify the source and make the necessary adjustment. God’s message for you can once again become crystal-clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment